Top 10 Beatles Covers


Top 10 Beatles Covers

A list of ten great covers of Beatles songs.

 I realise I've only listened to a fraction of all the Beatles covers out there (some of which are horrible), but still I've heard enough for a solid top ten. Here it is:

1. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Helter Skelter. Siouxsie's tense, almost frightening version of 'Helter Skelter' has to be my favourite Beatles cover ever. It's fascinating that a band so different from the Beatles did such a great job with one of their songs. And it's fascinating that it happened twice: Siouxsie's cover of 'Dear Prudence' is equally great.

2. Ray Charles - Yesterday. The late great Ray Charles recorded several Beatles covers ('Eleanor Rigby' is another great one), but I find 'Yesterday' to be the most touching and emotional. His performance of the song brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

3. Sonic Youth - Within You Without You. Sonic Youth's version of 'Within You Without You' is a fuzzy, dreamlike journey through sound, heavier than the original, but recorded in the same spirit. 

4. The Breeders - Happiness is a Warm Gun. Just like Siouxsie and the Banshees, this female-led alternative rock band tried their hands at covering the Beatles and got a great result. The Breeders bring some tension to the song and make it their own.

5. Nina Simone - Here Comes the Sun. Simone's unique, rich voice renders a special feel to this George Harrison song. Her version is warm and intimate, but filled with yearning and somehow mysterious.

6. Johnny Cash - In My Life. Johnny Cash's melancholy version of 'In My Life' makes one almost oblivious to the fact that he didn't write it. It just feels like he is singing about his own life, hence the emotional impact of this cover.

7. Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out. Wonder's funky version of 'We Can Work It Out' makes me want to get up and dance. The song retains all the charm of the original, adding layers of cool and grooviness.

8. Nick Cave - Let It Be. I love Nick Cave, but I really didn't think I'd like his version of 'Let It Be' (a lovely, but rather overrated Beatles song, in my opinion). Yet his delivery is so simple, without artifice, and respectful to the original, that I find it quite beautiful and touching.

9. Aretha Franklin - Eleanor Rigby. Aretha's version of the desolate 'Eleanor Rigby' is groovy and dramatic, infused with an energy that the original didn't have, but the sad spirit of the song remains untouched.

10. Fiona Apple - Across the Universe. Fiona Apple's fragile, throaty vocals work very well with this song. I like her dreamy, hypnotic cover better than the Rufus Wainwright version.




 
Content Source: Bukisa - Top 10 Beatles Covers



Related searchs:
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Helter Skelter.
Ray Charles - Yesterday.
Sonic Youth - Within You Without You
The Breeders - Happiness is a Warm Gun
Nina Simone - Here Comes the Sun
Johnny Cash - In My Life
Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out
Nick Cave - Let It Be
Aretha Franklin - Eleanor Rigby
Fiona Apple - Across the Universe